As Transfield Services’ Industry Development Manager - Rail, between 1997 and 2002, David was a key member of Transfield’s successful bid team for infrastructure maintenance contracts with:
- Tranz Rail New Zealand (NZ$50m pa),
- Australia Southern Railroad for South Australian Freight Lines and BHP OneSteel, Whyalla ($12m pa),
- Australian Rail Track Corporation ($25m pa) and
- Yarra Trams Franchise ($82m pa) between 1997 and 2002, and acquisition of Australian National’s Infrastructure Services Maintenance Group in 1997.
Maintenance development and implementation of high profile Build Own Operate & Transfer (BOOT) Projects such as New Southern Railway (The Airport Line) Brisbane Airport Rail Link for Transfield between 1999 and 2001.
Managed Transfield’s Rail Safety Accreditation for operations in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland.
Contract resurfacing for Fiji Sugar Corporation for Fessl Pty Ltd (1997).
Eraring Balloon Loop, near Newcastle for Ulan Coal on behalf of John Holland Pty Ltd (1992).
Various track upgrading projects between 1976 and 1991 (including NSW South Western Grain Lines as Assistant Division Engineer, Cootamundra, Trackwork Project Engineer for the Gosford to Newcastle Electrification Project, Project Engineer for the Thevenard Balloon Loop for Boral Australian Gypsum and NSW North Coast Tracklaying Project Manager for John Holland Constructions Pty Ltd).
Acting Division Engineer, Tamworth and Upgrading Engineer, Public Transport Commission at Newcastle (1979 – 1980).
Quarrying & Resources Industries
- Commissioning Manager for 1000 TPH Blast Furnace Slag Plant at BHP Port Kembla for Australian Steel Mill Services (1990).
- Upgrading of gypsum and salt rail unloading and ship loading facility at Ceduna, South Australia for Boral Australian Gypsum / Gypsum Resources Australia (1984).
- Upgrading & quarry management of a 250 TPH hard rock granite quarry crushing and screening at Kota Bharu, Malaysia for BMI International Division (1982 to 1983).
- Development, procurement and management of a portable 180 TPH sand and gravel crushing and screening plant for BMG (Country) at Muswellbrook in NSW (1981).
- Slip Form Concrete Paving for the Sydney Gore Hill Freeway for John Holland Constructions (1991).
- Pioneered the development of high strength nil-slump Roller Compacted Concrete Pavements in NSW, Victoria & South Australia for Boral Rollcrete (1988 - 1990).
- Managed cementitious stabilised pavement construction for Boral Stabilex (1984 - 1988).